About Me

Living life one dream at a time.

Words of the Wise

"What after all is a halo? It's only one more thing to keep clean."
-Christopher Fry, The Lady's not for Burning

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says, 'I'll try again tomorrow.'"
-Mary Anne Radmacher

"Do you want me to tell you something really subversive? Love is everything it's cracked up to be. That's why people are so cynical about it. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for. And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more."

-Erica Jong

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our Light, not our Darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you NOT to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the World. There is nothing enlightening about shrinking so that other people won’t feel unsure around you...We were born to manifest the glory of God that is within us; It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone. As we let our own Light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
-Nelson Mandella, 1994 Inaugural Speech

"Until this moment I had believed forgiveness to be a special virtue, a beneficence God expected of good people. But it wasn't that at all. Forgiveness was an instinct, a desperate impulse to stay connected to the people you needed, no matter what their betrayals."
-Monica Wood, My Only Story

"If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."
-Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar

"The most important things are the hardest to say. They are the things you get ashamed of, because words diminish them—words shrink things that seemed limitless when they were in your head to no more than living size when they're brought out. But it's more than that, isn't it? The most important things lie too close to wherever your secret heart is buried, like landmarks to a treasure your enemies would love to steal away. And you may make revelations that cost you dearly only to have people look at you in a funny way, not understanding what you've said at all, or why you thought it was so important that you almost cried when you were saying it. That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for the want of a teller but for the want of an understanding ear."
-Stephen King

"Have you even been in love? Horrible, isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens your heart and it means someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses. You build up this whole armor, for years, so nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life...You give them a piece of you. They don't ask for it. They do something dumb one day like kiss you, or smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore. Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so a simple phrase like 'maybe we should just be friends' or 'how very perceptive' turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It's a soul-hurt, a body-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. I hate love."
-Neil Gaiman, Sandman: The Kindly Ones

"Being always overavid, I demand from those I love a love equal to mine which, being balanced people, they cannot supply."
-Sylvia Ashton-Warner

"What I need is someone who will make me do what I can."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson


"You know, when you crawl that far down into the abyss, you really shouldn't bring stuff back up with you. Some things are meant to live in the dark. Your blog is like one of those fish with no eyes. Only slightly more disturbing."
Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Stunned

Over the years, I have made some dear friends at work. I am incredibly blessed to have met them, and I consider myself to be more fortunate in this area than almost anyone else I know.

Over the last few years, my friend Greg and I have gotten very close. He is one of the world's kindest men, and he has a heart of absolute gold. Always ready to support every member of the team in any way he could, he's proven to be not only a wonderful business resource, but also a confidant and trusted ally in every situation.

Greg has been my lunch buddy, and my coffee-run cohort. He teases me when I'm silly, and he listens when I am sad. He has become the person into whose office I run when I need a sanity break, and my very first stop when I acquire a new joke. I have also been there for him as the person to whom he could vent when things got ugly. This wasn't terribly often, for the record. His job, probably the most challenging in my group, was getting tougher and tougher - and his wife, loved more than life itself, was fighting metastatic breast cancer. And yet his strength and courage are a wonder to me - his optimism and serenity are nearly unmatched in this world. I can't imagine how one person can tolerate so much, and still come to the office with a smile on his face almost every day.

In the last two years, he and I turned into the last two men standing, so to speak, from an old circle of friends that has slowly eroded away as people have moved on to new opportunities. According to Greg, it was him and I against 'the evil empire'.

Last Tuesday, Greg resigned. I felt so very alone, and yet couldn't deny that his new job would be perfect for him. He is going to a larger organization which pays better, offers great benefits, and allows him to grow in a way he couldn't any longer at our organization.

Yesterday was to be his last day. On Thursday, he and I went out for our final hurrah lunch, as I had meetings scheduled all day Friday and Monday. I felt horrible about missing his last few days, but he laughed it off. The evil empire, he said, wouldn't allow me to bum around the office for two days on his account.

He told me about how he was leaving Tuesday (today) for Florida to take a much-needed mini-vacation with his buddies. They were going to golf, soak up some sun, and drink a lot of beer. He just hoped his wife got feeling better before he left, because he didn't want to leave before she recovered from her last treatment.

The term metastatic breast cancer, you see, isn't really descriptive enough. First it developed in the breast. After a year of remission, it came back in her cervix. Then her ovaries. Kidneys, hips, spine....and then her liver. Chemotherapy, radiation, vicodin, and surgery became every-day terms. Last month, her oncologist started a new, experimental treatment to try to give her more time. She was slowly recovering from this treatment, and it was an uphill battle.

On Friday, I got a call that Greg hadn't come in. His wife wasn't feeling well, and he was taking her to the hospital to get checked out. He would be in Monday.

Yesterday, I was told that her liver wasn't processing the new medications, and she was back in the hospital again.

Last night, she passed away.

Greg is now between jobs and a new widower. He has two kids, aged twenty and seventeen, who are now motherless. He is supposed to be in Boston this coming Monday for training on his new job. Everything that could possibly be in flux in his life....well, is. All day, I fretted over him. My boss' call this morning with the news indicated Greg was caught totally off-guard by the timing. So was I.

A few minutes ago, my phone rang. It was Greg.

He called to apologize for not letting me know personally this morning what had happened. He wanted to make sure I hadn't taken offense at the fact that it took him 20 hours from the time of her death to reach out to me.

I was horrified to think that he would feel any guilt at all over such a thing. How could this man be worried about MY feelings at such a time? Didn't he know that I only wanted him to take care of his family and let us help in any way we could?

I told him that I'd contacted his good friends J, in Omaha, and K, in Tacoma. I let him know that the phone tree was in place, and we had reached almost all of the staff he's worked with over the years. J in Omaha is driving in Friday night for the funeral, and found a phone number for another friend in Florida. I made several calls, sent a bunch of e-mails, and vowed to make a confirmation call to K in the next few days if I didn't get acknowledgment of receipt of my message (even though I think he would rather pluck his eyes out with a fork than have to talk to me).

My whole group is cooking tomorrow night, and bringing the food to work on Thursday. We'll deliver it to Greg's house that evening, so that he doesn't have to worry about how to feed his kids. We're shutting down the office Friday afternoon, so that we can all go to the wake. I'm so proud that even though it's a group to which he no longer felt an intimate bond, every one of them is willing to do everything possible to help.

But as I sit here on my couch, mulling all of this over, I can not get past Greg's apology for not calling earlier. "Honey," I said to him, "we love you. We are here, and we are all standing at the ready, waiting to help. Go take care of your kids. Don't worry about me, or anyone else. We're not going anywhere."

And even though I'm the worst Catholic in the world, I prayed today. For Greg, for his wife, and for his entire family to find some solace.

And also for more people in this world to love each other as he loved her.

Please, my friends. Go love someone tonight. "Life is too short" is not a cliché.

It is a fact.

1 comments:

Christine said...

And tonight I will say a prayer for you...because your strength and amazing fortitude in the face of adversity never ceases to amaze me.

Love you honey