About Me

Living life one dream at a time.

Words of the Wise

"What after all is a halo? It's only one more thing to keep clean."
-Christopher Fry, The Lady's not for Burning

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says, 'I'll try again tomorrow.'"
-Mary Anne Radmacher

"Do you want me to tell you something really subversive? Love is everything it's cracked up to be. That's why people are so cynical about it. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for. And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more."

-Erica Jong

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our Light, not our Darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you NOT to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the World. There is nothing enlightening about shrinking so that other people won’t feel unsure around you...We were born to manifest the glory of God that is within us; It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone. As we let our own Light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
-Nelson Mandella, 1994 Inaugural Speech

"Until this moment I had believed forgiveness to be a special virtue, a beneficence God expected of good people. But it wasn't that at all. Forgiveness was an instinct, a desperate impulse to stay connected to the people you needed, no matter what their betrayals."
-Monica Wood, My Only Story

"If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."
-Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar

"The most important things are the hardest to say. They are the things you get ashamed of, because words diminish them—words shrink things that seemed limitless when they were in your head to no more than living size when they're brought out. But it's more than that, isn't it? The most important things lie too close to wherever your secret heart is buried, like landmarks to a treasure your enemies would love to steal away. And you may make revelations that cost you dearly only to have people look at you in a funny way, not understanding what you've said at all, or why you thought it was so important that you almost cried when you were saying it. That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for the want of a teller but for the want of an understanding ear."
-Stephen King

"Have you even been in love? Horrible, isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens your heart and it means someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses. You build up this whole armor, for years, so nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life...You give them a piece of you. They don't ask for it. They do something dumb one day like kiss you, or smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore. Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so a simple phrase like 'maybe we should just be friends' or 'how very perceptive' turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It's a soul-hurt, a body-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. I hate love."
-Neil Gaiman, Sandman: The Kindly Ones

"Being always overavid, I demand from those I love a love equal to mine which, being balanced people, they cannot supply."
-Sylvia Ashton-Warner

"What I need is someone who will make me do what I can."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson


"You know, when you crawl that far down into the abyss, you really shouldn't bring stuff back up with you. Some things are meant to live in the dark. Your blog is like one of those fish with no eyes. Only slightly more disturbing."
Friday, May 9, 2008

Look here, monoecious....

I was on the elevator at work today, innocently heading up to the ninth floor, when the little closed-circuit tv monitor pissed me off.

On the screen was the following blurb (yes, I went straight to my desk and wrote it down. sure me):

Grossly Outnumbered!

There are over 40,000 different spiders in the world. In contrast, there are only 4,000 species in the entire mammal kingdom.

Now, I'm not a rocket scientist (or a biologist, for that matter), but it only took me about a half a second to say, "Hey, wait a minute!"

There is no such thing as the mammal kingdom. I found myself channeling Mr. Reeves, my high school biology teacher, who may have been one of the oddest men I have ever met. My sister thought he was the best teacher ever - I, on the other hand, always thought he was a bit creepy. He looked a bit like the bastard love child of Grizzly Adams and Fred Flintstone. With red hair. And big coke bottle glasses.

"Look here, monoecious...." I could hear him saying. He called everyone that, as his own little nasty way of making people look shit up in order to learn while being insulted. Just to save you the trouble:

Main Entry: mon·oe·cious \mə-ˈnē-shəs, mä-\
Function: adjective
1 : having pistillate and staminate flowers on the same plant
2
: having male and female sex organs in the same individual : hermaphroditic

I know. It's lame. But that was his thing.

"Look here, monoecious. King Phillip came over from Germany Saturday, remember? There is no mammal kindgom!"

Remembering that, my eyes rolled back into my head. I struggled to pluck the information from the depths of my shriveling brain. Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species.

Kingdom - Animal
Phylum - Chordata (Vertebrate)
Class - Mammalia (Mammals)

etcetera....etcetera....etcet.....*zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*

At that point, it was too late for me. Mr. Reeves was in my head. I remembered having to pee (badly) during his class. I raised my hand.

"Mr. Reeves?"

"Yes, monoecious."

"Can I please go to the bathroom?"

He narrowed his eyes. "Tell me. Can your bladder hold twenty more drops, do you think?"

I thought about it. It sounded like a stretch. "I don't think so."

"How about ten?"

I squirmed. I could probably do ten, but what was the point? "Um, probably."

"Good!" he proclaimed. "Because there are about ten minutes left in my class. Your bladder produces, on average, one drop of urine per minute. You'll be just fine to wait until the bell."

The entire class groaned. He had struck again.

Right around that time, he would have likely scanned the floor of the classroom for loose change. He always picked up pennies, dimes, nickels, whatever he could find...and at the end of the school year, he would take his wife out for a steak dinner with all of the money he'd collected.

Did I mention he was odd?

So I was standing there on the elevator, thinking of Mr. Reeves, when it struck me. The evil bastard had actually taught me something that's been in my head for over 20 years. Why is it that I can't remember where I parked my car when I leave the office, I never have any idea where my keys are, and I can run into someone in the deli that I know I've met before, and have no clue what their name is....but I can instantly recall, as clear as a bell, being told by Mr. Reeves while dissecting an earthworm that they taste just like cockroaches?

I'm telling you. The dude was creepier than I imagined.

4 comments:

Wes said...

See, it's good that you didn't have Ted Fox at Bee Enn Ell. He was a pre-vert, and I'm pretty sure he liked to feel up high school chicks.

I'm pretty sure everything I learned about biology came from my junior high teacher, the late great Ms. Wray.

WF

Christine said...

What? I missed the pre-vert?

damn it. Just my luck.

Jonathan Ahl said...

KPCOFG in my high school biology class was...

King
Phillip
Can
Order
Fucking
Green
Stools

There it is.

Whirledpeas said...

Creepy or not, he did his job and did it well!